Updated January 2021
About the Vanguard Communications team
Since its founding in 1994, Vanguard Communications has built a multi-disciplinary team of experts in medical marketing and practice improvement. To our knowledge, this distinctive blend of disparate fields differentiates us from any other consulting firm in the country. Accordingly, our passionate commitment is to serving as expert practitioners in healthcare, unsurpassed in our body of knowledge.
In this pursuit, we have institutionalized an ongoing culture (and policy) of learning and constant professional education. Our principles emphasize leadership, strategy and detailed execution. Our understanding of what a medical practice needs and what patients want is just part of what makes us measurably different.
Our company was built on teamwork, collaboration and quality work. We’re currently looking for a rising public relations and social media professional with the talent, personality, skills and work ethic that will continue to strengthen our growing team. Just as importantly, we look for individuals that will bring their own ideas and creativity to the table – to play a key part in continuing to make Vanguard great.
About the Healthcare Public Relations & Social Media Specialist role
Vanguard Communications offers internet marketing, public relations and patient-education services for outreach to prospective and current patients of specialty medical practices and hospitals across North America, deploying a sophisticated mix of internet search marketing, social media marketing, website development, online reputation management, web content development and management, public relations, and online tools for patients and families.
A Public Relations & Social Media Specialist must be skilled in several disciplines in order to integrate public relations into the broader array of ever evolving marketing communications. Duties include media relations, writing and content marketing, social media management, online reputation management, client strategy, project management and teamwork.
Qualities of an ideal Healthcare Public Relations & Social Media Specialist candidate
- Exacting attention to detail and proactive analytical thinking.
- Outstanding organizational and time-management skills.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Keen sense of entrepreneurship and desire to learn.
- Willingness to learn new medical and scientific information and speak confidently and in detail about health conditions and treatments on behalf of clients in a variety of specialties.
Core required skills
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in communications, public relations, journalism, English, digital media, and/or related fields.
- A minimum of two to five years’ experience in marketing and public relations (or related field).
- Excellent writing and editing skills including working knowledge of Associated Press style, as well as experience in working with the news media.
- Experience with or ability to learn a website content management system (CMS) such as WordPress for web publishing.
- Knowledge and experience in managing social media.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
Bonus skills (strongly preferred, but not required)
- Agency or medical marketing experience.
- Video production and/or editing knowledge and experience.
- Online reputation (Yelp, Google) claiming and management experience.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume using our online form, attention Stephanie Wilson: