Updated December 2022: Accepting Applications for Future Opportunities
The most important thing to know about our team
What’s the biggest compliment our people pay Vanguard? There are two, actually. They usually come during exit interviews or a year or two after departure:
“I have never learned as much on any other job. And I have never felt more like a part of a family.”
Sure, after nearly three decades in business, we have our detractors among ex-staffers, who move on for a variety or reasons. Nevertheless, we’ve devoted our best efforts to creating a tightly knit team that forms lasting bonds and – most importantly – to investing in the professional growth of all who pass through our doors.
This is our enduring promise to all: You won’t get siloed or bored here.
Since its founding in 1994, Vanguard Communications has recruited a multi-disciplinary team of experts in medical marketing, practice improvement and most recently legal marketing. To our knowledge, this distinctive blend of disparate fields differentiates Vanguard from any other consulting firm in the country. Accordingly, our passionate commitment is to serve as expert healthcare and law advisors, unsurpassed in knowledge and expertise.
In this pursuit, we have institutionalized an ongoing culture (and policy) of constant professional education. You work here and you will learn. Constantly. Usually at our expense. On the job and in structured in-person and online classes.
Our principles emphasize leadership, strategy and detailed execution. Our understanding of what a practice needs and what patients and legal clients want is just part of what makes us measurably different – built from the ground up on teamwork, collaboration and quality work.
What a Healthcare Multimedia Public Relations & Social Media Specialist does
We’re currently looking for an established marketing professional with the talent, personality, skills and work ethic that will continue to strengthen our growing team. Just as importantly, we look for individuals that will bring their own ideas and creativity to the table.
Vanguard Communications provides internet marketing, public relations and patient-education services for outreach to prospective and current patients of specialty medical practices and clients of legal firms across North America. We deploy a sophisticated mix of internet search marketing, social media marketing, website development, online reputation management, web content development and management, public relations, and online tools for patients and families.
In this context, a Multimedia Public Relations & Social Media Specialist must be skilled in several disciplines in order to integrate public relations and written communications into the broader array of ever evolving digital healthcare & legal marketing communications.
The PR specialist reports to Vanguard’s Vice President and works closely with the CEO. Duties include news media relations, writing for the mass media and content marketing, social media management, online reputation management, client strategy, project management and teamwork to successfully manage ever-evolving healthcare & legal marketing communications projects.
A PR specialist must be able to maintain deadlines, marketing schedules and timely client follow-up, and works with the Client Services project manager on each client’s assigned Vanguard team to co-lead strategic marketing plans for clients.
Full-time position details
This position is five days a week, 80% in-office, 20% remote flexibility (four days in-office, one day work from home/remote per week). Our office is located in the hip RiNo (River North Art) neighborhood of Denver, with free parking behind our building and within a one-block radius. Each employee has a semi-private personal office space and dedicated computer.
Competitive benefits include health insurance coverage (Vanguard pays ~75% of monthly premium), dental (Vanguard pays 100% of premium), and employer-matching retirement fund. Paid time off includes two weeks vacation (with additional time at years 5, 10, etc.), several personal days, paid sick time and nine paid holidays, plus optional/as-needed paid time off including two weeks maternity/paternity leave.
Management provides regular check-ins with your supervisor, annual performance reviews (including peer surveys), detailed growth plans, and ongoing encouraged/required professional development opportunities.
The position also requires occasional travel (usually one or two times per year) to visit new or existing clients.
Salary range for this position (dependent on skill level and years of experience): $55,000 – $70,000 per year.
Qualities of an ideal Healthcare/Legal Multimedia Public Relations & Social Media Specialist candidate
- Zest for challenge and a can-do drive, with an interest in being part of a fast-moving environment.
- Exacting attention to detail and proactive analytical thinking.
- Outstanding organizational and time-management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team, with a highly personable work style.
- Keen sense of entrepreneurship and desire to learn.
- Willingness and aptitude to rapidly learn new medical, scientific and legal information and speak confidently and in detail about health conditions and treatments on behalf of clients in a variety of specialties.
Core required skills
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in communications, public relations, journalism, English, digital media, and/or related fields.
- Two years to five years minimum experience in marketing and public relations (or related field).
- Excellent writing and editing skills including working knowledge of Associated Press (AP) style, as well as experience in working with the news media.
- Experience with or ability to quickly learn a website content management system (CMS) such as WordPress for web publishing.
- Knowledge and experience in managing social media.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
Bonus skills (strongly preferred, but not required)
- Agency or medical/legal marketing experience.
- Newsroom or other journalistic experience.
- Video production and/or editing knowledge and experience.
- Online reputation (Yelp, Google) claiming and management experience.
- Bilingual in Spanish.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume using our online form, attention Stephanie Wilson: