Position originally posted August 24, 2022
Thank you for your interest. While this position has been filled, please consider applying for the Healthcare Multimedia PR & Social Media role.
The most important thing to know about our team
What’s the biggest compliment our people pay Vanguard? There are two, actually. They usually come during exit interviews or a year or two after departure:
“I have never learned as much on any other job. And I have never felt more like a part of a family.”
Sure, after nearly three decades in business, we have our detractors among ex-staffers, who move on for a variety of reasons. Nevertheless, we’ve devoted our best efforts to creating a tightly knit team that forms lasting bonds and – most importantly – to investing in the professional growth of all who pass through our doors.
This is our enduring promise to all: You won’t get siloed or bored here.
Since its founding in 1994, Vanguard Communications has recruited a multi-disciplinary team of experts in medical marketing and practice improvement. To our knowledge, this distinctive blend of disparate fields differentiates Vanguard from any other consulting firm in the country. Accordingly, our passionate commitment is to serving as expert healthcare advisors, unsurpassed in knowledge and expertise.
In this pursuit, we have institutionalized an ongoing culture (and policy) of constant professional education. You work here and you will learn. Constantly. Usually at our expense. On the job and in structured in-person and online classes.
Our principles emphasize leadership, strategy and detailed execution. Our understanding of what a medical practice needs and what patients want is just part of what makes us measurably different – built from the ground up on teamwork, collaboration and quality work.
What a Healthcare Marketing & Business Development Specialist does
We’re currently looking for an established marketing professional with the talent, personality, skills and work ethic that will continue to strengthen our growing team. Just as importantly, we look for individuals that will bring their own ideas and creativity to the table.
The Marketing & Business Development (MBD) Specialist executes a multi-faceted role as Vanguard’s agency marketing strategy and content manager, key new business builder and support to the client services & PR teams for various client projects such as website and blog writing. The MBD must be skilled in writing and public relations, marketing strategies, building and managing relationships with potential clients, representing the agency at occasional events, and managing competing priorities and various marketing initiatives. The Marketing & Business Development Specialist seeks to help grow the business by managing all agency marketing and new business related duties.
The MBD must be knowledgeable about Vanguard Communications’ unique selling proposition and be able to communicate the company’s compelling differentiators verbally and in writing to potential clients and agency partners. The MBD must be able to maintain deadlines, marketing schedules and timely sales follow-up.
The MBD reports to Vanguard’s Vice President and works closely with the CEO to manage agency marketing tasks, sales and product development. Requires some travel (usually one to a few times per year, during conference season in the Spring and/or Fall).
Full-time position details
This position is five days a week, 80% in-office, 20% remote flexibility (four days in-office, one day work from home/remote per week). Our office is located in the hip RiNo (River North Art) neighborhood of Denver, with free parking behind our building and within a one-block radius. Each employee has a semi-private personal office space and dedicated computer.
Competitive benefits include health insurance coverage (Vanguard pays ~75% of monthly premium), dental (Vanguard pays 100% of premium), and employer-matching retirement fund. Paid time off includes two weeks vacation (with additional time at years 5, 10, etc.), several personal days, paid sick time and nine paid holidays, plus optional/as-needed paid time off including two weeks maternity/paternity leave.
Management provides regular check-ins with your supervisor, annual performance reviews (including peer surveys), detailed growth plans, and ongoing encouraged/required professional development opportunities.
Salary range for this position (dependent on skill level and years of experience): $55,000 – $75,000 per year.
Qualities of an ideal Marketing & Business Development Specialist or Manager candidate
- Patient yet persistent, go-getter attitude with the ability to build meaningful relationships, many of which pay off only after months or even years of effort.
- Exacting attention to detail and proactive analytical thinking.
- Outstanding organizational and time-management skills.
- Deadline-driven multitasking capabilities.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Adaptability and willingness to tackle new challenges.
- Positive customer-service attitude, with ability to work with multiple personality types.
- Keen sense of entrepreneurship and desire to learn.
Core required skills
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in marketing, communications, journalism or a related field.
- A minimum of five years’ experience as an agency marketing/new business representative or PR/marketing manager for an organization.
- Excellent writing skills, including writing for patients and healthcare professionals, knowledge of AP Style, taking copious notes and updating tasks to distill key concepts and initiatives.
- Experience with or ability to learn a task management system and Google Suite online office tools.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- Knowledge of Adobe Suite products.
- Intermediate digital media skills, including familiarity with using a website content management system (CMS) and social media.
- Proven ability to create and maintain good business relationships.
Key duties of Marketing & Business Development Specialist or Manager include:
- Agency marketing, content development & public relations.
- New business development.
- Practice consulting and marketing product development.
- Client Services and PR healthcare marketing team support.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume using our online form, attention Stephanie Wilson: