Ongoing opportunity for all semesters
About the Vanguard Communications team
Since its founding in 1994, Vanguard Communications has built a multi-disciplinary team of experts in medical marketing and practice improvement. To our knowledge, this distinctive blend of disparate fields differentiates us from any other consulting firm in the country. Accordingly, our passionate commitment is to serving as expert practitioners in healthcare, unsurpassed in our body of knowledge.
In this pursuit, we have institutionalized an ongoing culture (and policy) of learning and constant professional education. Our principles emphasize leadership, strategy and detailed execution. Our understanding of what a medical practice needs and what patients want is just part of what makes us measurably different.
Our company was built on teamwork, collaboration and quality work. We’re currently looking for a rising PR & marketing student with the talent, personality, skills and work ethic to assist our team. Just as importantly, we look for individuals that will bring their own ideas and creativity to the table – to play a key part in continuing to make Vanguard great.
About the PR & Marketing Internship
Vanguard Communications offers internet marketing, public relations and patient-education services for outreach to prospective and current patients of specialty medical practices and hospitals across North America, deploying a sophisticated mix of internet search marketing, social media marketing, website development, online reputation management, web content development and management, public relations, and online tools for patients and families.
A PR & Marketing Intern must be pursuing a bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism, English, digital media, and/or related fields. Duties include providing project support to Vanguard staff specializing in client services, internet marketing, public relations, social media, and Vanguard Communications’ own business development and marketing.
This is an unpaid, academic internship for school credit. Internship hours and days are flexible to meet college/university requirements, with a minimum duration of 10 weeks and 160 hours in the Denver-based office. Computer provided.
Qualities of an ideal PR & Marketing Internship candidate
- Exacting attention to detail and proactive analytical thinking.
- Outstanding organizational and time-management skills.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Keen sense of entrepreneurship and desire to learn.
Core required skills
- Pursuing bachelor’s degree (or higher) in communications, public relations, journalism, English, digital media, and/or related fields.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Experience with or ability to learn a website content management system (CMS) such as WordPress for web publishing.
- Knowledge in managing social media.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
Bonus skills (strongly preferred, but not required)
- Video production and/or editing knowledge and experience.
- Experience with Photoshop.
- Bilingual in Spanish.
Duties of a PR & Marketing Intern
A PR & Marketing Intern is responsible for providing project support to Vanguard staff specializing in client services, internet marketing, public relations, social media, and Vanguard Communications’ own business development and marketing.
The PR & Marketing Intern reports to the Multimedia PR Manager for daily task oversight, and overall internship goals and direction.
- Exhibit strong communications skills and organizational abilities, and quickly develop inter-office relationships.
- Contribute ideas and feedback in helping develop a plan-of-action for each assigned project (including participating in staff meetings) and assist in carrying out client deliverables.
- Assist in marketing and business development projects on behalf of the company, including helping manage Vanguard’s own social media and other Vanguard marketing projects.
- Assist on internet-based marketing and public relations tasks on behalf of clients, including online reputation management (Yelp, Google, Healthgrades and RateMDs), posting to clients’ WordPress websites, and other Vanguard marketing projects.
- Tracks and manages assigned projects in Vanguard’s task management software on a daily basis in order to update team and document progress.
Skills a PR & Marketing Intern can expect to build during this internship:
- Social media marketing.
- Healthcare marketing.
- Content development.
- Email marketing via MailChimp.
- Lead generation.
- Online reputation management.
- List building.
- Website publishing.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume using our online form, attention Jessica McLaughlin: