A legal website you (and your visitors) will love
Having an outdated lawyer website can cost a law firm potential clients and leave attorneys at the bottom of the search engine rankings. Not only that, but firms may be missing out on the latest trends in website design and useability, leaving your visitors with a bad impression of the firm.
For more than 29 years, Vanguard’s website design and development services have helped build sites that generate more leads, rank better and reach goals. We’re committed to helping law firms succeed by creating websites and marketing strategies that work as hard as they do.
Benefits of working with a trusted web design company
- Effective website design for legal firms is essential for successful legal marketing because it attracts and retains visitors to lawyer websites, which is the primary object.
- Website design also directly affects the strength of the site’s search engine optimization (SEO).
- Poorly designed sites frustrate readers, causing them to leave, and are penalized by search engines in their rankings.
- Website design should present an up-to-date graphic style while reinforcing a firm’s branding, in colors, graphic style and tone of the content.
- Lawyer websites should focus on creating a positive user experience (UX) by incorporating UX design fundamentals such as excellent content, sound website architecture, ease of navigation, use of rich content, appealing layout and more.
- At Vanguard, we have decades of experience employing these fundamentals of website design. Our team will work closely with you to understand your business, target audience and unique requirements to create a website that reflects your brand, engages visitors and drives results.
Getting lost in the shuffle with cookie cutter web designs?
Vanguard’s custom-built websites include the best of both worlds: dazzling aesthetics and powerful optimization that gets your firm noticed by search engines. Get ready for more leads and more business from a website that captures the attention of potential clients.
Best practices for website design for legal firms
Designing an effective legal marketing website requires blending three skills: graphic design, coding and marketing. The site’s design should incorporate all three throughout the process. This requires a professional web design team that is not only up on the latest web design styles and trends, but also experts in collaborating with clients to bring their vision to life.
The design team must listen to the law firm as well as guide the firm on best practices. We consider this one of our greatest strengths.
It begins with defining the purpose of the website. The purpose of legal digital marketing is to provide visitors with:
- The information they are searching for.
- The services the firm offers.
- A connection with the practice and an idea of what makes it tick.
Every element of a website should work in harmony to achieve the site’s purpose. This includes both the frontend (what visitors see) and the backend (where the site is constructed and coded).
Law firm branding in web design
The overall website design needs to reflect the law firm’s existing branding. An effectively designed website plays a strong role in projecting a firm’s branding and the image it wishes to project.
We recommend using a firm’s brand colors, logo and branding text judiciously. Having too many elements reduces usability and engagement.
Content is king of lawyer websites
The content on the site is the star player, not the lawyers. That content must be displayed properly, from page design to effective fonts. Visuals and appealing layout elements must be effectively integrated into the content being presented, whether that’s a page detailing child custody considerations or biographies of firm partners.
Hype, cliché, aggressive self-promotion and heavy-handed sales copy can kill the effectiveness of website content. A firm’s potential clients are sophisticated website connoisseurs and they are turned off by information they don’t consider authentic and honest. They need gentle persuasion to take an action (see CTAs and actionable appeal below).
How smart website design boosts legal firm SEO
Designing a user-friendly site for people also pleases search engine web crawlers, which translates into a boost in legal firm SEO (search engine optimization). For this reason, Vanguard’s web design focuses on making a site easy for web crawlers such as Google to comprehend.
These web crawlers look for signs that a website and its pages offer content a human visitor is searching for, presented in a clear and easy-to-understand way. Such factors encourage visitor engagement (time on site, number of pages visited, actions taken, etc.), which makes them appreciate the provider of that information. When assessing a law firm’s site, we take note of these engagement metrics.
The SEO reward for good legal website design is favorable placement on the search engine results page (SERP), the listing of results returned by an internet search engine. The higher up in the SERP, the more clicks a website will earn.
User experience design (UX design) for a lawyer website
Land on a poorly designed lawyer website and the visitor (potential client) will leave quickly. Web crawlers note this and penalize the site in SERP listings. This is why Vanguard emphasizes user experience (UX) throughout the initial design, function and ongoing development of a website.
From start to finish, the entire web development process should incorporate UX design to produce a visually appealing and user-friendly website that meets visitor needs and reinforces the law firm’s branding. While every person has different tastes and needs, focusing on UX can make all visitors’ interaction with a lawyer website as intuitive and enjoyable as possible.